Monday, July 31, 2006

JULY 31, 2006 MY LAST CHANCE!

Since this is the last day of July, I figure this is my last chance to redeem myself if I want to consider myself a blogger. I wish I could say that I have developed this as a new habit (you know--21 days straight) but it has been 27 days since my last entry.

Bruce and I went on a great cruise to Alaska from the 14th to 22nd of the month on the "Vision of the Seas" Royal Caribbean ship. It was so much fun and you get such royal treatment by the crew. I loved the food in the dining room, and the entertainment in the beautiful theatre. We saw 3 different comedians (all very clean) and 2 musical productions, which I loved, and one headliner, Lenny Welch, a throwback from the 60's, but right up our alley. Bruce loved him, and he had so much energy. It was hard to tell that he was 65 years old. He was all over the place.

The scenery was beautiful and green, green green. We went through the inside passage so we had land on both sides once we got to Alaska from Seattle. The weather was about 58-60, and Bruce loved it. I saw porpoises swim along side the ship and a few whales.

We got off the ship in Juneau, which is the capital city, and saw the Mendenhall glacier. Dad and a friend flew on a float plane to a prime fly flying location to catch and release. My friend Louise and I went to all the shops in the tourist traps. The best thing we did there was eat fresh crab at a little crab shack. They crab legs were huge and delicious. The town is filled with jewelry stores selling diamonds and other (unknown to me) precious stones. Crazy! In the Gold Rush days those shops would have been saloons. As the capital, Juneau is only 30 thousand people, and most of the jobs are government ones. There are no roads going in or out of the city, so people have to fly in or come in on a ferry.

I do have pictures I will get on soon, and even a movie of the waiters on the ship singing to us. I did use my scooter and that was great fun, too.

More later.

4 comments:

Rachel said...

Mom,

Sounded like a great trip and I'm glad you enjoyed yourself

Elisa said...

oooh that sounds like fun. I love whales. We went on a whale watch in Boston and I have been facinated with large marine life ever since. Except sharks. I have an irrational fear of sharks, especially since I live in Utah.

Jill said...

That sounds like my kind of cruise, 58-60 degree weather, green views, and no bathing suits! Nice. I'm glad you had such a great time.

Anonymous said...

That sounds so wonderful! So where are the more pictures you promised? I want more!