Wednesday, February 14, 2007

Valentine's Day in your 60's

This morning was no different than the usual. Bruce got up at 5:30 and went walking until 6:45.
I woke up, barely, trying to decide if I wanted to get up, or just go to the bathroom and go back to bed. The house was dark, no use illuminating the way either of us looked. So I rolled (yes I'm in the wheelchair again) into the kitchen. Bruce was making hot chocolate, and I asked him if there was enough hot water for me to have a cup. It was very foggy outside. We were drinking our hot chocolate and I was wishing for a very good pastry, knowing that the only thing we had was a loaf of Sara Lee's whole wheat bread. I would have given anything for just one small Dolly Madison chocolate covered donut.

Bruce and I visited until about 7:15 about the day ahead and what had been planned. Then I went into the study to turn on the Today Show. There in the dark I spied some flowers in a vase and even a helium filled balloon in the dark shadows. I gasped! So I finally turned on the light and saw a beautiful vase full of one dozen red roses. and a red balloon, and card. Surprise again. This past year I have been totally surprised many times by Bruce and family. Luckily before my surgery last week I had at least bought him a Valentine and had it ready.

So then Bruce had to dress and go work at the bishops' storehouse. I on the other hand can spend some time and try to surprise him somehow.

Well so much for living in the fast lane. Have a very good Valentine Day everyone.

2 comments:

Bevan said...

Mom,

That is a good story. One of the Partners told me today that he asked his wife where she wanted to go for tomorrow night. She said, "well tomorrow is Feb. 15th, so how about tonight?" He forgot and asked me if I had an idea. I told him what I was doing for Amanda, and he said that he did someohting for his wife before just like it, but his wife showed up at Grandover Resort and cashed it in for a gift certificate. She said she felt like the present was too nice.

Anyway, be glad that Dad is not a CPA and that tax season never causes him to forget about Valentines Day.

Jill said...

It's so nice to get an unexpected surprise like that, especially in the morning because that means he had to plan ahead. So sweet.